robert bristow-johnson wrote:
You put probes in the ground, set of a bar of dynamite, and measure
the seismic response. Then take a lot of assumptions, and try to
invert those measurments into a soil sediment picture, as to find oil...

still haven't connected that to decomposition of an arbitrary frequency
response into a rational (in z) IIR transfer function from which biquads
can be factored out.

Allright, maybe to far fetched example, certainly in it's execution not first year stuff. it just interests me, and it suggests a searching for system responses, that I suppose is in the thinking line of the question, but I don't know that for sure.

I didn't get the part where the frequency response is a given, I mean, how is that given (and where does that come from). And if indeed a certain response is to be implemented as a digital filter, why does phase not matter, too ?

T.