We use wavelets in a pitch-tracking application some years ago
(John ffitch and Wafaa Shabana, A Wavelet-based Pitch Detector for Musical Signals; Proceedings of DAFx99, 101--104). We did try some other wavelet attempts with nothing useful.
==John ff

Quoting Rohit Agarwal <ro...@khitchdee.com>:

Most of our modern DSP techniques that we use for the analysis of sound
signals are based on the FFT as a first step. This imposes limits on time
resolution since the FFT window has to be wide. For most natural sound
apps this is no hindrance as the rate of events is commonly slow. Speech
recognition is such an example. Even in the music space for the most part
the required time res for most common apps is not that great so FFT
suffices.
What are the alternatives to the FFT? Have wavelets been
used for real world solutions? If an app needs much higher time resolution
and there are limits on sampling frequency, what kind of time domain
techniques are well known? &nbsp;