>I guess my point is that I'm struggling to think of an application where

>such strong prior knowledge exists, and where we'd still need to estimate
>frequencies from data.

One such application would be a CV to controls(Midi,OSC,whatever) converter. As
virtually all the soundcard inputs are AC coupled, it is often impossible to
plug the CV from your ancient analog modular into your soundcard's input. What
you can do is connect the output of your analog oscillator (which is a periodic
waveform of given amplitude and shape) to the input of the soundcard, track its
frequency and use it to generate controls for ... whatever: other oscillators,
filters ...

Giulio