On 2014-10-14, Max Little wrote:

Maths is really just patterns, lots of them are interesting to me, regardless of whether there is any other extrinsic 'meaning' to those patterns.

In that vein, it might even be the most humanistic of sciences. Moreso even than poetry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Mathematics_Comes_From . And then right back to business, in that humanistic vein; we're wont to stray off topic, which in math means "you said something other than first order predicate logic". So let's return.

If you look at the real audio signals out there, which statistic would you expect them to follow under the Shannonian framework? A flat one? Or alternatively, what precise good would it do to your analysis, or your code, if you went with the equidistributed, earlier, Hartley framework? Would it help you make "mp5" terser than mpeg-2 layer 3, or especially AAC? If so, howso?
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front +358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2