>I am not sure if the PDFs are preserved across
>transforms from one orthonormal basis to
>another, and the answer to your question would
>depend on that (Of course it would also depend
>on several other parts of the phrasing of your question
>that aren't clear to me). My intuition is that PDFs
>are preserved across such transforms.

Transforms between orthogonal bases are basically rotations. I.e., they are
linear operators that produce each component of the output as a linear
combination of input components. Generally, then, the Central Limit Theorem
tells us that the output distributions will tend to be Gaussian, regardless
of the input distributions, provided the input components are suitably
uncorrelated. There are some details specific to complex
numbers/distributions in the case of FFT, and exceptions for transforms
that don't actually do much "mixing" of input components, but the general
intuition is that linear transforms will preserve Gaussian distributions,
and will cause non-Gaussian distributions to become more Gaussian.

For reasonably large FFT sizes and uncorrelated input data, you can
generally assume that the FFT coefficients are (complex) Guassians,
regardless of what the input data distribution was.