Well, apart from gwenhwyfaer's point that the spectrum is equivalent to a
sawtooth hard-sync'ed to the FFT period and the general advice to use
proper windows for analysis, the only thing I can recommend is to simply
oversample the FFTs via zero-padding when doing this kind of analysis. In
that way you get enough resolution that you should always see the smearing,
regardless of the period of your input waveform. It also makes clear that
the special case of a periodic signal that matches the FFT period happens
not because the scalloping effect doesn't happen in that case, but only
because its zeros happen to line up with the bin frequencies.