>well, that's what i mean.  the Laroche point is that they might go crazy
of coefficients are being continually modulated.

Yes indeed.

In practice, I have found that theoretical guarantees of time-varying
stability are not a whole lot of use, and that one is generally left with
some combination of smoothing of the coefficient changes (possibly in some
reparameterized domain), and output crossfade. Even with a guarantee of
stability, you can still have large, ugly (but finite!) artifacts. But if
you are smoothing/crossfading sufficiently that you don't get artifacts,
you don't need to worry about stability separately.

Probably the most interesting case here is modeling of analog filters that
are designed to allow operation in an unstable range in the first place.
Then we *want* the instability, but not the transition artifacts!

>but, if in experiment A we have a stable BIBO DF1 filter with zero states,
and
>in other experiment we have the same filter (with same coefficients), i
can with
>only two samples x[0] and x[1], steer y[2] and y[3], to be whatever finite
values
>you specify.  so that guy's question: *How do I check for stability of a
filter with
>non-zero initial conditions?* is superfluous, in my opinion.

Ah, right, now I see where you were going with that. Indeed, that question
is kind of beside the point.

Although it seemed like that stack exchange post was more about the guy
convincing himself of what he intuited to be true, than answering any
really salient questions.