Great point, Steffan, and glad to hear that you did some experiments. I have
not, but made an assumption (by considering the math involved in encoding) that
encoding from a high resolution source is best. My current music partner is a
long-time engineer and producer, and he has the habit of mixing 16-bit versions
and going from there, and I’ve been badgering him to always mix to 32-float (or
24-bit if he must—you know how habits go with engineers, the concept of float
seems to bother him, and others I know), and make a 16-bit (*only* for CD) and
all other versions (AAC, etc.).