I like the trend of releasing remastered material, where there is scope for
improved quality. Which isn't always, but there's an entire generation of
albums that were victims of the loudness wars, and various early work by
artists that hadn't access to quality mastering at the time, and so on,
that can benefit. This has been happening totally independent of Pono.

I don't like the Pono music scam because it confounds that (legitimate)
aspect with the snake oil about 24 bits and high sampling rates - while
charging a premium. There is zero meaningful test results that back Pono's
quality claims (and note how frequently their marketing adds caveats about
comparing to "low-res MP3s," as if it's 1998 or something). And while there
isn't a definitive formal test showing that Pono sucks, there are multiple
informal tests without obvious methodological flaws which show that Pono is
inferior to your regular iTunes downloads. Neil Young says he's going to
give you better quality (for 2-3 times the price), and instead delivers
*lower* quality (or, maybe, the same, at best).

The fact that their own marketing material can't even seem to keep their
story straight regarding what the high resolution is or is not supposed to
provide you, seems to me to go to the point that this is all a marketing
exercise in bullshitting the consumer with a bunch of ill-founded claims.
For that matter, Pono's implication that one can't get improved masters via
other routes is itself deceptive.

I'm also somewhat bemused by Neil Young being the poster boy for this
high-resolution snake oil. While I admittedly haven't listened to his
entire catalogue, his whole style features low dynamic range, non-extreme
spectrum, and quite high noise floors (typically easily audible at even
moderate volume). Which is fine, nothing wrong with the crunchy/vintage
rock sound. It just doesn't fit with the whole "we need to be able to hear
stuff at 35kHz and -130dB" delusions.

That said, this statement seems problematic:

>Whether the higher resolution actually degrades the quality is a topic up
for future debate.

I mean, if you personally don't want to debate it right here and now that's
fine. But nobody is obliged to set this stuff aside. It's immediately
topical, and the test files for evaluating it have been provided in the
xiph link.