Thanks Patrick, nice and useful walkthrough.

Do you have any measurement or consideration about  the round-trip latency
variation among audio driver restarts? I've seen this on all devices I
could test, and I'd say it must be due to the input and output being
asynchronous. Does this happen with the Nexus 9?

Athos