On 2015-06-06, Alan Wolfe wrote:

I am so sorry... meant to send this to myself to investigate later, my name starts with A and my address book has this as "A" for some reason.

Please ignore... or feel free to explain hehe.

Not really an audio topic, no. But essentially an OpenGL multisampled texture is a texture which holds multiple samples per pixel. Such textures are used as intermediate stages in antialiasing computations. Essentially the multiple samples per pixel are rendered separately using whatever rendering algorithm you happen to have chosen, but are systematically offset from the underlying pixel grid. Eventually the samples will be averaged together, which is a simple, easily (embarrasingly) parallelized form of numerical integration, suitable for the typical GPU's render pipeline.

The basic reason why you have to allocate a separate kind of render target for multisampling is that the GPU rendering pipeline and/or the software framework used to program it does not fully hide its internals, or in here especially latency variance. When you multisample, the different subpixel results arrive at slightly different times, and aren't fully coordinated so that they could be averaged on the fly, to land texel per texel on a normal texture patch. Instead the multiple samples need to be stored somewhere first, in whatever order the GPU yields them, and then after an internal synchronized barrier, run a second time around the pipeline to average them. That calls for extra memory for the intermediate result; GL_TEXTURE_2D_MULTISAMPLE typed render targets reserve that extra memory and tell the graphics engine how to use it, instead of just going with the one pixel per texel requirement of a normal texture.

https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Multisampling
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2