Sampo Syreeni писал 2015-06-28 18:39:
What makes all of that suspect is that at first it does seem to imply
that all of the interesting spectral information is in the
discontinuities.

That's until you begin considering analytic signals having infinitely long Taylor series. Like a sine. Or an FM'd sine. Then you realize that such signals can contain non-zero frequency partials even without discontinuities. So there is interesting spectral information in the waveform itself, but whether this interesting part is bandlimited or not? That is, whether the non-bandlimited part of the spectrum resides in the discontinuities only.

As I wrote in the previuos mail this seems to bear a strong relationship with the convergence of the infinite sum of BLEPs at each discontinuity points. Roughly (or maybe even strictly?) speaking, the sums converge if and only if the derivatives fall off sufficiently fast, which seems to be equivalent to the relaxed (exponential growth on the complex plane, instead of exponential growth on the imaginary axis and polynomial growth on the real axis) Paley-Wiener-Schwartz conditions.

But as we saw, there's quite a lot of matching we
have to do to get those waveforms to interpolate their analog
counterparts.

In practice we cannot sum infinitely many BLEPs. However, the error from truncation of their sum is related to the same rolloff speed of the discontinuities.

So, in essence it might not make a lot of sense to talk
about where the information actually resides. The picture could be
seen as the discontinuities defining what is between them, as well as
what is between determining the discontinuities, via the various
matching constraints.

I strongly believe it does make sense. Because you want to distinguish between the waveforms which can be antialiased by BLEP (at least theoretically) and those which can not. For those which can the practical error of antialiasing will be determined by the truncation of the BLEP sum and the truncation of the BLEPs themselves (windowing in time domain).