On 17/07/2015, robert bristow-johnson <r...@audioimagination.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/15 1:26 AM, Peter S wrote:
>> On 17/07/2015, robert bristow-johnson<r...@audioimagination.com>  wrote:
>>> in your model, is one sample (from the DSP semantic) the same as a
>>> "message" (from the Information Theory semantic)?
>> A "message" can be anything - it can be a sample, a bit, a combination
>> of samples or bits, a set of parameters representing a square wave,
>> whatever.
>
> doesn't answer my question.

It does, it just depends on the model.

In the 1-bit square wave duty cycle estimator, a message is a "bit".
In the English text compression experiment, a message is "a character".
In the white noise entropy estimation experiment, a message is a "byte".
In the binary waveform entropy experiment, a message is "a string of bits".
In the bitflip counter, a message is an event that "two consecutive bits differ"
In the parametric squarewave thought experiment, message is "a set of
parameteres describing a square wave".

Whatever arbitrarily chosen thing I send to you over a channel,
becomes a "message". There's no universal definition of what a
"message" is, depending on the particular model, it can be literally
anything.