The first delay of which I was aware was in the piece "Echo III" played on the
viola by Tim Souster in Cambridge in the early 1970s.  Not an echo  or reverb
but a cannon.  Delay was via two reel-to-reel tape machines, with a carefully
measured distance between them.  I cannot remember if it was the band
Intermodulation or 0db, but I loved the piece.  Not heard it for decades

==John ff