>What's causing you to be unable to reconstruct the waveform?

There are an infinite number of different nyquist-frequency sinusoids that,
when sampled, will all give the same ...,1, -1, 1, -1, ... sequence of
samples. The sampling is a many-to-one mapping in that case, and so cannot
be inverted.

See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem#Critical_frequency

Or consider what happens if you shift a nyquist-frequency sinusoid by half
a period before sampling it. You get ..., 0, 0, 0, 0, ... - which is quite
obviously the zero signal. It is not going to reproduce a nyquist frequency
sinusoid when you run it through a DAC.