Hey all,

In trying to get to grips with the discrete Fourier transform, I have a
question about the minus sign in the exponent of the complex sinusoids you
correlate with doing the transform.

The inverse transform doesn’t contain this negation and a quick search on the
internet tells me Fourier analysis and synthesis work as long as one of the
formulas contains that minus and the other one doesn’t.

So: why? If the bins in the resulting spectrum represent how much of a sinusoid
was present in the original signal (cross-correlation), I would expect
synthesis to use these exact same sinusoids to get back to the original signal.
Instead it uses their inverse! How can the resulting signal not be 180 phase
shifted?

This may be text-book dsp theory, but I’ve looked and searched and everywhere
seems to skip over it as if it’s self-evident.

Stijn Frishert