Ethan Duni wrote:

> Also there are different conventions about where to put the normalization
> constants (on the analysis side, or on the synthesis side, or take the
> square root and include it on both).

I remember it blew my mind when I first learned there was a symmetric form of
the Fourier transform that gave frequency-domain coefficients in response to
time-domain data and vice versa, with no flag telling it which domain the input
represented. Like, how does it know??

I now “understand” that it’s just a rotation, but that’s like saying I
understand gravity. I’ve gotten used to it, or maybe just repressed how weird
it is.

Earl