Hi list

Thinking a bit about my Zynq board having now a working Linux supported AXI connection with it's FPGA that can be used (thus far simple) examples with Vivado 1015.3, I would like to plan using the right niche or corner or "edge" when making some examples that use FPGA acceleration for music digital signal processing I have in mind. The current connection that works properly and Open Source between the ARM cores and the decent FPGA isn't very fast (little over 10 Mega Byte per second I suppose) but it's possible to run quite some data amounts over the AXI bus, like the working (also FOS) HDMI interface interrupt/DMA example (from the Parallella project/ADI), and possibly special DSP functions that can make use of the (small) on chip memory bank.

It used to be so that a number of interesting DSP functions, just like other functions including mathematics on supercomputers and computer graphics, are more memory bandwidth limited than CPU/DSP power limited, which today is a bit of an obfuscated subject because you have to take pipelined memory access into account as well as average and worst case cache performance.

I was wondering what the devices currently in use in various DSP setups have as essential memory bandwidth. I now my very fast PC has dynamic memory access bandwidth of about 80 Giga byte/sec (4 banks), and big graphics cards with DDR5 memory get what, say a few hundred GB/s easily enough. Of course graphics cards aren't often used for audio DSP and in the case of the PCs memory banks, we have to probably count considerable latency for single, random-bank accesses.

Then there's the dedicated DSPs, I know about some fast multi-core TI DPSs and have used some Analog Devices ones, which essentially use dynamic RAM chips for main memory of their core(s), and there are dedicated ASIC/FPGA chip designs with internal memories up to a part of or a few megabytes, and some had external fast static memories, but that appears to be not fashionable.

What's the range of bandwidth people compute to use for serious dSP applications or is there even an objective measure ? The big dream of computing for instance live FFTs for studio quality audio is achieved for PCs depending on what you want but where is the analysis ?

Theo V.