Hi Robert,

I gave detailed reply yesterday, from the other side of the world, on my iPad.
It had a sending failure, which also, apparently, left it as a completely empty
message. Trying again from  scratch via iPhone...

There is no standard 3-knob parametric. Consider that the classic analog
parametrics have different parameter interactions that audio engineers prefer
(Tangent, for example—in general the interaction is how increasing gain affects
Q). Some plug-ins give you a choice of classic behaviors.

Now, you want to automate the gain of one of these. Now you want to transfer
that over to another 3-para with a different behavior. So, you need to
translate that into gain automation and Q automation. Hmmm...

Tl;dr: You can't reasonably expect parameters from 3-paras to be
interchangeable any more that you can with equally-ubiquitous compressors and
reverbs.

Second item: Parameter automation and MIDI automation are different things. The
former tracks changes in a control over its range (often a knob that ranges
(0-1). It may be a gain knob, it may be a Q knob. What is the value of the knob
at 3-o'clock (the host may want to display it for an automation point)? It's
whatever that plug-in tells the host it is. (The host queries the pluggie for a
value string for control value 0.8, for instance. "+12 dB", might be the reply.)

A midi track might be attached to a control—whatever midi message you mated
with it—and therefore you'll get that exported to a midi file but don't expect
a host's automation track to get saved in a midi file, any more than you'd
expect to save an audio/sequencer project in Cuebase and import it into Pro
Tools and carry on there.

Hope this helps,

Nigel