On 08/24/2016 03:44 PM, Max K wrote:

The idea is basically a USB+SD Card equipped guitar pedal.
How important do you reckon FFT hardware acceleration and I2S modules are when choosing the DSP?

Well, those could be really handy if your guitar pedal does some filter operation which needs FFT & iFFT (and the extra latency is ok) or if you're using a DAC, ADC or Codec chip (almost all use I2S communication) for analog signal input and/or output. But if you're not using FFT or I2S, probably not of any value. Can you see how little we know about what you're trying accomplish? It's a pedal with USB and SD Card, but what will it actually *do*?

are there any other important factors to look out for? Something that's very important to have and possibly not present on every DSP out there?

You mentioned USB and SD card, which might be better done on a microcontroller. Maybe? Some microcontrollers now have lightweight DSP, which may or may not meet your needs. I've been working on an Arduino library that does lightweight DSP stuff on a Cortex-M4 chip, which again may or may not be of any use to you. But it does support USB audio streaming and playing from SD card.... the only 2 things we know so far.

Learning curve might also matter. Sounds like you have some good prior experience, so maybe you're ok with something that has a steep learning curve? If you're designing a product for high volume production, maybe optimizing everything matters a lot. Or if you're just making this guitar pedal for yourself and maybe a friend or two, perhaps your time is more valuable?

Probably the best thing you can do is tell us more about what you're actually trying to accomplish. You might get much more insight than just a DSP chip shopping guide....