One thing that might be interesting to try is to grab a slice of audio,
apply a smooth window, and then convolve it with an ongoing stream of white
noise. Sort of the opposite of a usual convolution reverb -- rather than a
fixed "kernel" and a new chunk of "signal" every frame, you'd have a fixed
signal and an evolving kernel.

It won't sound frozen exactly, it will shimmer the way a reverb tail does.
Bu maybe that's fine if it's the sound you're going for.

-Ethan