Very interesting ideas Robert, thanks.

Some observations:

* Regarding the use of a polynomial to limit the range of spurious
frequency components --  a good goal, but if the input signal actually goes
outside [-1,1] this is no longer strictly true.
* Since f'(0) != 1 for these curves, they're really more like a combination
gain and soft clipper rather than a pure soft clipper. Does your approach
still work if we impose the constraint that f'(0)=1?

Another interesting family of curves is given by f(x) = x / (1+x^N)^(1/N)
for even N. The fractional power is kind of annoying, but if you have a
hardware square root then you can compute this for N=2,4,8 easily enough.

-Ethan