Speaking only from experience, I raise two possibly prickly points regarding
this concept.
First, any subtraction-based level control is very minimal in effect at the
onset of control and very abrupt at the end as it approaches infinite
attenuation. Very difficult to massage the middle ground. Good luck!

Second, my experience is that noise reduction works best when it is limited in
its range, IOW, pure gating is obvious and potentially annoying, while a
relatively discernible, artfully performed drop of 10-15 DB can be very useful
while unobtrusive, especially with multiple bands.

Another general opinion of mine is that whenever there is a serious noise
problem with the source, enter the situation with eyes wide open: never expect
to solve it seamlessly. Any 'dramatic' solution is potentially extremely
program-dependent.

David Reaves
Recklinghausen, Germany

Sent from my iPhone