>  A bandlimited squarewave of 8 kHz @ 44.1 kHz samplerate is a sinewave. 3
* 8 kHz is already outside of the bandwidth.

Well the example used was Middle C, which is 261.6 Hz. And would have 75 or
so harmonics before reaching the limit.

> This means that the basic frequency must be pretty low to get a square
wave shape.

Yeah, but that's exactly what I mean. At any frequency, you lose the upper
harmonics that make it perfectly square. So at what point do we cross the
threshold of it being square enough, or near-perfect enough. When is it
considered a square or not?

If you record that 8khz square and your result is a signal with 3
harmonics, did you not actually record a square? Record a 1hz square, it
will look square... until you zoom in far enough. You'll still get some
very tiny ripple because you only keep the highest 44k harmonics and not
all infinity harmonics. And if you don't get a ripple, you're probably
aliasing.

So my point is I think it's incorrect to assume it needs to look like a
square shape to be considered a square wave. Because no matter what, if you
zoom in enough a correct square stops looking like a square.

We can try to debate the threshold at which is looks or sounds squarey
enough, but that's more of a philosophical debate than a technical one.

Neil