Hi Robert,

On the drop-sample issue:

Yes, it was a comment about “what you can get away with”, not about precision.
First, it’s frequency dependent (a sample or half is a much bigger relative
error for high frequencies), frequency content (harmonics), relative harmonic
amplitudes (upper harmonics are usually low amplitude), relative oversampling
(at constant table size, higher tables are more oversampled), etc. So, for a
sawtooth for instance, the tables really don’t have to be so big before it’s
awfully hard to hear the difference between that and linear interpolation. The
512k table analysis is probably similar to looking at digital clipping and
figuring out the oversampling ratio needed. But the numbers, the answer would
be that you need to upsample to something like a 5 MHz rate (using that number
only because I recall reading that conclusion of someone’s analysis once). In
reality, you can get away with much less, because when you calculate worst-case
expected clipping levels, you tend to forget you’ll have a helluva time hearing
the aliased tones amongst all the “correct” harmonic grunge, despite what your
dB attenuation calculations tell you. :-)

To be clear, though, I’m not advocating zero-order—linear interpolation is
cheap. The code on my website was a compile-time switch, for the intent that
the user/student can compare the effects. I think it’s good to think about
tradeoffs and why some may work and others not. In the mid ‘90s, I went to work
for my old Oberheim mates at Line 6. DSP had been a hobby for years, and at a
NAMM Marcus said hey why don’t you come work for us. Marcus was an analog guy,
not a DSP guy. But he taught me one important thing, early on: The topic of
interpolation came up, or lack thereof, came up. I remember I said something
like, “but that’s terrible!”. He replied that every Alesis synth ever made was
drop sample. He didn’t have to say more—I immediately realized that probably
most samplers ever made were that way (not including E-mu), because samplers
typically didn’t need to cater to the general case. You didn’t need to shift
pitch very far, because real instruments need to be heavily multisampled
anyway. And, of course, musical instruments only need to sound “good”
(subjective), not fit an audio specification.

It’s doubtful that people are really going to come down to a performance issue
where skipping linear interpolation is the difference in realizing a plugin or
device or not. On the old Digidesign TDM systems, I ran into similar tradeoffs
often. Where I’d have to do something that on paper seemed to be a horrible
thing to do, but to the ear it was fine, and it kept the product viable by
staying within the available cycle count.
> Nigel, i remember your code didn't require big tables and you could have each
> wavetable a different size (i think you had the accumulated phase be a float
> between 0 and 1 and that was scaled to the wavetable size, right?) but then
> that might mean you have to do better interpolation than linear, if you want
> it clean.

Similar to above—for native computer code, there’s little point in variable
table sizes, mainly a thought exercise. I think somewhere in the articles I
also noted that if you really needed to save table space (say in ROM, in a
system with limited RAM to expand), it made sense to reduce/track the table
sizes only up to a point. I think I gave an audio example of one that tracked
octaves with halved table lengths, but up to a minimum of 64 samples. Again,
this was mostly a thought exercise, exploring the edge of overt aliasing.

Hope it’s apparent I was just going off on a thought tangent there, some things
I think are good to think about for people getting started. Would have been
much shorter if just replying to you ;-)

Robert