That's understood.

What is not completely understood by me is the technique in the paper, and the very much related technique from the book. How can this apply to arbitrary signals when it relies on sinusioids seperated by several bins?

Also it seems I dont understand where the artefacts in my pitch shift come from.
They seem to have to do with phases but it's not understood how exactly.

What is understood is that the neighbouring bins of a sinusoidal peak
have a phase -pi apart.

I dont see the effect of this though, they rotate in the same direction, at the same speed.

But why is there no artefact of this kind when the signal is only stretched,
but not shifted?