No, there's a problem underlying: how do you define a release?

To me a release is the physical cd which is boild so to be sold in a
market: a brasilian release has portuguese liner notes and a Eu
reelase has what it is needed to be sold in EU. I mean, if the same
identical phisical cd is sold in two different country, for me it's
same release.

A release is the combination of the "thing where the music is on" and
the market were it is available. If it was only the physical CD then
we wouldn't need release countries at all.
So it's a combination of which record is available where and when. If
"when " and "which" are the same for 2 records, then you can merge the
where to a release area for this record.

Perfect. We have two idea of what a release is and I guess your is the
MB one.

Yes, I think so. To be very precise, I think that a release of a record is an _event_ on a _market_. A release is an economic entity.

And the problem is that the recording industry and their marketers do not follow clear rules for their division of markets. They do follow the gregorian calender, therfore fixing the time of the event is easy and standardized, but markets evolve.

A few years ago, national borders and customs rules were strict enough to allow us to say: A market is more or less equal to a nation state.

But with globalization this gets tricky. If a record is released in France, then anybody can move a ton of them over to Germany and sell them there without having to deal with customs. So within the EU the national boundaries do not define markets anymore.

I believe that most record companies still divise their markets along the lines of national boundaries. There are many reasons, like different language etc, but it is not a necessity anymore.

To be very precise the common market is currently called "European Community", is a part of the European Union, and will be renamed to "European Union" once the constitution gets ratified. It is the successor of the "European Economic Community". The EEC is of historical interest only. Since I do not think there were actual _releases_ for the whole EEC market, we could skip it. The (sub-)continent Europe does not qualify as a market at all.

Now, is this a reason to add the EU (or currently EC) to the list of markets?

I am not sure. If we do, we would probably have to add the European Economic Area (EEA) (between the EC, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein), Mercosur, etc etc. Do we want that? Wikipedia is pretty strict and says that we only have three single markets right now (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_market>):
 - European Community
 - European Economic Area
 - Caribbean Community single market

OK that could help. Three new markets.

However, nothing guarantees that record companies really make full use of the common market. They might very well have terms or release that divide the common market.

It all boils down to this:
Are there distributors which really _use_ the common market of the EU for their releases? If the answer is yes, then we should add this market to the list of release areas.

  DonRedman

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation around! :-)