On 1/10/06, Don Redman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:34:37 +0100, Tarragon M. Allen wrote:
> > I also think this argument really centres around the fact that those
> > particular tracks are the most often re-titled, and it's seems "cleaner"
> > from a database point of view that the tracks are always called the same
> > thing, no matter where they are. Whether this approach is correct or not
> > is what we should really focus on.
> Yes exactly.
[...]
> Let's face it. MB currently cannot store what we would like it to store.
> Let's build the guidelines around what currently is possible and not what
> we would like the future to be.

Ok, I agree. And now that I have expressed my personal opinion about
this, I will add nothing more to those points. But I don't want to let
this discussion die silently. :)

We have to sides, both are once again related to preferred use cases:

1. Make it easier for humans to find a particular track by using
search terms given by what is printed on the cover (or something
similar).

2. Make it easier to process the data by machines. For example, make
it possible to search for all occurrences of one track on all albums
listed under an artist.

This is not only a question for this problem, but for most of the
style guidelines we have.

So I (and I suppose, you as well) want a decision to be made on this.
We already have
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ExtraTitleInformationStyle. And the only
point affected by this discussion is the "Special Notes" section. Do
we keep it (and rephrase it, to show that "album version" _and
similar_ constructs are to be removed) or remove the section?

Someone wanted to merge this page with the RemixStyle, VersusStyle and
SoundtrackTitleStyle, I don't remember who it was. The problem for the
latter is similar, it's still not clear if we keep "original
soundtrack", strip it or allow both for special cases.

#Fuchs