On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Paula Callesøe wrote:

Hello,

A discussion started on http://musicbrainz.org/showmod.html?modid=4161538 has prompted me to bring this up here on the list because we may need some guidelines written for the use of % in URL ARs. OpenDataRelationshipClass currently has nothing regarding the use of any special characters in URLs.

By default, Wikipedia URLs use %28 and %29 to represent ( and ) and %26 for &. No one other than a power-user will know that Wikipedia URLs can be converted to one without % using the character the %nn represents. For example, for the band Cameo, Wikipedia defaults to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameo_%28band%29

but we can use

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameo_(band)

to reach the same information. Note that in MB's interface, the last ) is not dropped as it is here in this email so it's perfectly usable.

Unfortunately though, this conversion cannot be done with Discogs URLs.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Emerson,+Lake+%26+Palmer

is unreachable using

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Emerson,+Lake+&+Palmer.

Some characters in URL's like '&' have to be % encoded, I'll dig out the RFC if I get a chance later today. '(' and ')' are safe from what I remember.

Steve (inhouseuk)