Don Redman wrote:
Third, in both your and my examples I see not a single one in which it seems really important (to me) to differentiate between arrangement, orchestration and instrumentation. IMO the differentiation only makes sense, if there are works for which you can specify e.g. an orchestrator and a _different_ arranger. Otherwise arrangement-in-the-broad-sense (as Wikipedia says is also used) can be used as a catch-all for arrangement, orchestration and instrumentation. Why should we not do so as well? BUT I do not listen to classical music. Maybe someone can provide an example with an orchestrator and a different arranger. (I even was confused by the edit log for "Spanglish", and edited this in a way, that might not be correct anymore, but would at least justify to have all three reltypes <http://test.musicbrainz.org/showrel.html?id=329091&type=album>.)

Japanese game soundtracks are an area that will need the differentiation. I tried to avoid them myself but from what I've been exposed to in the past on here and over at last.fm some albums and tracks are a morass of different composers, arrangers, and orchestraters. Someone more knowledgable with them needs to speak up though...