derGraph wrote:
Orion wrote:

Other people that have the DVD can easily reproduce the exact same rip.

Just like when merging and album with the bonus disc...

But that's not the point. There is no audio-only release. In fact, the audio frames have to be separated from the video frames. That's pretty much like taking a Rock Encyclopaedia, copying the pages on your favourite band, and calling it a band biography. Would your arguments be "The source is official, everyone can reproduce it, so it's an official book"?

Nope. But it seems we're straying into analogy land which always seems to lead to weirdness on these lists. What concerns you is that you have to demux the streams? The practice of interlacing is what makes it bootleg? So if someone released a weirdly authored concert dvd with the streams placed in a non-interlaced fashion in the vobs it'd be okay? Or for a concrete example - some DVD-audio discs are hybrid with a DVD-video section for compatibility reasons, letting people with just DVD players still be able to at least listen to the audio. On Every Little Thing's "Every Best Single + 3" http://avexnet.jp/item/every/disc/product/AVAD-91205.html DVD-audio disc there's the DVD-A section and then a regular VIDEO+TS folder that has vobs with 96khz lpcm stereo audio that plays while display the album cover and the current song info for each track in the video segment, where one chapter == one track == one song. For a long time people weren't able to directly rip DVD-A discs until a way was found to hook into commercial PC DVD-A playback software and have it dump the decrypted data instead of playing it back. So if I were to rip it (like I did) when I first got it where I had to demux the audio stream from the rest of the content in the vobs and then encode it versus how nowadays I could just dump the audio portion directly if I had the right software - the former would be bootleg because of having to seperate the audio stream from the rest of the content in the vob while the latter would be an official release?

How is a concert not music?

Oh, it is. But it is also a show, plus the reactions of the crowd, plus knowing the band can't simply redo a passage they didn't play perfectly, and so on. I never said a live DVD is not about music. I said it's about more than just music.

So... audio-wise, it's the the same as what you would find on a live CD then? The video component is important and I do usually watch my concert DVDs at least once, but a lot more often that that I just want to listen to them, same as you'd want to listen to a live CD...

Not to mention it makes artist pages feel incomplete to not have them listed - I'm used to label discographies like http://avexnet.jp/item/every/disc/dvdaudio.html where they break stuff down into single/album/dvd/dvd-audio/SACD/video/analog or http://www.up-front-works.jp/discography/zetima/29/list.html where they have single/album/dvd/other(vhs/LPs/etc) As was pointed out elsewhere in this discussion, one could simply take the tracklisting from http://www.up-front-works.jp/discography/zetima/29/v_66/index.html and enter it directly as a release, bypassing the whole issue of whether or not something was removed to enter it...