Tarragon M. Allen wrote:
I think the crux of this argument is not so much whether ripped DVD audio tracks should be allowed in MusicBrainz as an official release type, rather it's about the status of so-called "music" DVDs themselves.

MusicBrainz was originally conceived around music _only_ releases, particularly CDs, but of course extending into records, tapes etc. A DVD concert is not a _music only_ release, because it has a video component.

So, the first thing that needs to be determined is this : should MusicBrainz catalogue releases that are not _music only_?

If we decide that DVD "music" videos (not DVD-Audio as this is definitely a "music only" release and isn't what's being debated here) should be added, then we need to formalise some standards on how this is done.

Wouldn't this result in two classes of them? Cataloging the actual, full music DVD, and cataloging the audio-only rips of them that fans often do? They'd have two completely different signatures. Or was your focus more on deciding whether to allow them period, but only adding them in the second form?

I'm highly in favor of adding them, simply because in the music cultures surrounding some of the artists I listen to it's become standard practice for the fans to do audio only rips of all the concert DVDs. Not adding them feels like pretending that some music doesn't exist simply because it's inconvenient to fit in it in our definitions...