for what it's worth, remastering is the same thing as mastering, just
done at a later date, and thus with better technology. at discogs i've
argued that 'remastering' isn't really a role, so we have it as a
qualifier -
Mastered By [Remastered].

hence, something can't have both a 'mastered by' and a 'remastered
credit' on the same release. you master from the the original tapes,
not the mastered product - that's like making a .flac of an .mp3 :)
although i think i have seen (very rarely) things that have been
mastered from vinyl versions, when no original tapes have been
available, so perhaps it does occur, but i'd say it's pretty rare.

of course, at MBz, 1 album entry can represent seperate copies (eg the
original, and the remaster), so such situations could exist, but maybe
it would be a problem should we ever try split these up to the
different product releases?

chris / gecks