the real problem here is that we need separate fields for things like Opus number, BWV number, etc.

On 3/22/06, Nathan Noble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I would have no-voted this as well, were I to actually
participate in votes...<sigh>.  Here are my
counter-arguments:

I wouldn't call this a convention.  I have tagged
(emphasize) many Bach discs and do not ever recall
seeing this format.  Do a google search on "bach BWV
544" (no quotes) and see how it's referenced.  That is
a relatively obscure organ work.  Bach's wiki page is
more reliable info.  allmusic/amazon/music match will
show it at the end too (This isn't three pieces of
evidence; I'm sure they share the same data though I
can't prove it).

Even if this were common, I wouldn't like it since you
are then left to evaluate, on a piece-by-piece basis,
whether any work is more commonly known by its
catalogue number or it's "name".  There is no hope of
consistency with such a subjective style.

-Nate

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ClassicalStyleGuideDiscussion

http://musicbrainz.org/mod/search/results.html?mod_status=1&orderby=desc&moderator_type=3&moderator_id=207347