Don Redman wrote:
(1) MB is currently not able to genuinely store metadata in a format that will apply to all DVDs However, the current album-oriented way of storing metadata is applicable to a majority of DVDs.

Highly agree with this. The same can be said of CDs and vinyl too - MB has problems with entering hidden pre-track gap songs on CDs and there were issues brought up relating to infinite loop vinyl releases in the last view months. DVDs that are problematic from an MB point of view might be more common than problematic releases in other mediums, but they're still a minority and not a majority.

This is what StyleGuidelines are for. Therefore DVDs could be added to MusicBrainz using relatively complex guidelines. But if the pro-DVD people are willing to work these guidelines out and to watch that they are being applied, that is ok.

From my own music DVD collection, I suspect the main guidelines could be fairly simple. The main issue would be needing either a lot of examples or an expansive series of sub-guides to deal with edge cases and the peculiarities of authoring done by certain labels.

- The guidelines could specify that stuff above a certain level of complexity belongs to the annotation. - The guidelines coud outline a threshold of 'musical relatedness' under which DVDs should not be added to MB

Seems like a somewhat slippery slope. Don't we currently have audiobooks and speeches in the DB that are completely unrelated to music? It seems like a topic that can easily generate endless hours of arguments and frustration if we embark on it. Where exactly do you draw the line among these DVDs:
A singer stars in a musical (Nakazawa Yuko - Footloose)
A singer stars in a musical and always does a short concert afterwards; the DVD is roughly 90 minutes musical, 30 minutes concert. (Goto Maki - Sayonara no Love Song) A singer does a revue + concert; the DVD is a 30 minute mini-musical + 90 minute concert. (Abe Natsumi + Melon Kinenbi - 05 Revue and Concert “Murata-san, Goki?”) A singer does a fan club tour in Hawaii and the DVD includes about 45 minutes of footage of events with the fans plus a 30 minute concert. (Matsuura Aya - Fan Club Tour in Hawaii vol. 1 or vol. 2) A singer does an image video in Hawaii and the DVD includes 3 songs performed by them during it that are special ukelele arrangements. (Matsuura Aya - Alo Hello 2 or Abe Natsumi - Alo Hello) A singer shoots a photo book in Hawaii and it comes with a bonus DVD containing making of footage, but no singing. (Konno Asami - Alo Hello PB) A singer has a minor role in a movie that contains no singing at all. (Hoshii Nanase - Fly Daddy Fly) A singer has a leading role in a movie that contains no singing by them at all. (Nakashima Mika - Worst By Chance) A singer has a leading role in a movie that's mostly about singing and they perform several songs in it (Christina Milian - Be Cool) A singer has a leading role in a movie that is mostly about singing and releases singles/albums as that character (Nakashima Mika - Nana and Yuna Ito - Nana)

If you can pick a threshold in such a way that no one will argue about it and it is clear for all of the above examples whether or not they're allowed then you're a more skilled man than I.

> (2) DVDs have a non negligeable role in musical culture. They are
> probably going to become even more important.

Really, really want to state how much I agree with this. It's obviously going to vary by genre/label/region, but for me and some of what I listened to DVDs are an automatic assumption. On Avex's new releases page - http://avexnet.jp/latest/ - of the releases listed in the "Japanese music" category there (the first section of the page), 19 out of 40 discs between 03/29/06 and 4/12/06 are DVDs or CD+DVD singles/albums. 24 of the releases are pairs where you can buy a CD only or a CD+DVD version. http://musumenavi.cool.ne.jp/mn/release06.html is a fan listing of releases from UFA for Jan/February this year; in that time period there are 3 photobook+DVD releases, 16 DVD releases, and 3 CD releases. These are the two companies with the highest levels of DVD acceptance that I'm aware of; Sony, WMG, JVC, and UMG seem to mostly only put out DVDs for concerts and the occasional video collection, not much for CD+DVD bundles or separate pairs yet. Toshiba-EMI has been spotty with it in the past, limiting it to only their best selling artists. They're doing it more and more these days, lowering the point where they consider it worth releasing the additional version.

(3) Are DVD entries _in the MB database_ 'official'? This depends on the definition of what a "DVD" is _in MB_. Some define it as an entry representing an audio rip. Then it makes sense to set the status to 'bootleg'. Othes seem to define it as an etry representing the whole DVD. Then normal album rules should apply.

A simple solution might be for the non-straightforward DVDs add both. For discs with a linear tracklist, no extra features, and a 1:1 chapter:song relationship you can simply add the DVD as official. For non-linear, multiple angles, easter egg/hidden features, etc. ones you can input the tracklist from the case or menu as official and then add a real world bootleg version.