> why would we have new works?  we'd just have tracks
> mapping onto existing
> works in different ways.

Terminology difference.  I was considering tracks as
works which are part of higher-level works.  I think
you view tracks as tracks that are part of
higher-level works.  We both are saying the same, but
the problem is this:  there isn't really a finite list
of tracks we can add to a composer's oeuvre.  A
symphony might have 4 movements and thus four possible
track names, while an opera might have 400.  In my
mind this reduces the usefulness of having works
lists, though I think only for operas or comparable
works.

> i suppose what this tells us is that a given track
> might have to map onto a
> 'range' of parts of the work:
> for isntance, if i had a cd of beethoven's 5th where
> they left the 3rd and
> 4th movements as one track (they lead into one
> another) we'd need to map
> that SINGLE track onto TWO movements

This is starting to get quite messy, even in the
hypothetical phase...  It might be better to just add
a new track to Beethoven's list of tracks.  There
could be four tracks called mvmts 1, 2, 3, and 4, and
a fifth called mvmts 3/4.  All of these should point
to the same parent work: Beethoven's 5th.

-Nate