we're not talking about all those other things though.
you can't link to an "unofficial amazon ASIN" or "unofficial discogs
page" or "unofficial wikipedia article" because they don't exist in that
context. There is no official or unofficial ASIN. It is what it is.
also just because some artist has an official myspace page doesn't mean
that it is their one and only official website.

i would think linking to an official myspace page is whats expected from
anyone using the MB data. Also I'd imagine that since artists are trying
to liberate their names from myspace music pages run by fans or "fakes"
that this is what the artist would want as well. Not to mention that
myspace cracks down on these since their members are breaking copyright
by uploading tracks and such.. unofficial links would disappear and that
would involve unnecessary maintenance of dead links.
Also the proposal says "Try to find the most active, or preferred page
supported by someone involved with the artist or group." which to me
reads official or officially sanctioned.
no ones going to laugh at you for pointing a URL to a bands official
myspace page.

-b