To show what I mean, take a look at:
http://musicbrainz.org/showrel.html?id=815&type=artist
- the composed by relationships for the classical covers are bullshit.
lennon *wrote* these songs, but a composed by credit in the context of
a classical recording implies that he composed them for an entire
symphony orchestra (ie, wrote the string, brass, etc, parts), which is
obviously not the case.

he could potentially be credited with 'composer' in the context of a
beatles album, as it's true he 'composed' (err, with mccartney, and
not all songs, but go along with me on this) the songs, but this
credit is a 'written by' one in the context of a classical recording,
or cover, because it is (typically) the tune being covered, not the
composition (ie defined instrument, vocal parts, bass lines, etc).

composed by = written by + arranged by
(again there's a degree of overlap between all 3 but i believe this is
typically the case)