On 02/05/06, Cristov Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yes composing is a specific roll as I described but how it get's credited as a
whole other matter and crediting in no way changes the role. Since All You Need
Is Love was written by both McCartney and Lennon, they each should have a
composer and lyricst AR associated. Whoever did the arrangement would have an
AR for that role.

but if you got a credit on a classical covers album saying "written by
Lennon & McCartney", how would you represent it? it's not a composed
by credit - they didn't compose that track for an orchestra, the
composed it for bass, guitars, drums and vocals. they WROTE the tune,
no matter what context it is performed. 'composed by' is only relevent
in the original context.

I would say your definitions are imprecise as well. There are numerous examples of
composers who didn't do any arranging whatsoever. For instance many jazz composer only
wrote charts with a melody and rough cord changes. The musicians were expected to
"arrange" on the fly.

like i said, there are grey areas, just as there are with most credits
(producer would be a prime example!).

Also, although I'm not sure if you're implying or thinking it but it's absolutely
incorrect to classify composers differently by genre. Just because we tend to call pop
composers songwriters doesn't make them any less composers. It's just that terms like
"written by" are more often used on popular genres.

absolutely. i have contemporary releases with composed by, and some
without. it's a valid role in all genres, it's just so is written by.
we can't use composed by for 'music written by' as it simply doesn't
work for all circumstances, and is being abused all over the shop.