From: Nathan Noble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MusicBrainz style discussion <musicbrainz-style@lists.musicbrainz.org>
Subject: Re: [mb-style] omitting major?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:46:09 -0700 (PDT)

lol.  Well I can certainly understand the drive
towards a standard, but I have a problem when our
style goes against a vast majority of references to
the work.  I don't claim to understand Gershwin's
intent, but I think he may have been aiming for a
title with a ring to it: "Concerto in F" sounds quite
a bit different than "Piano Concerto in F major",
which is what our style would force.  Most of the time
it's referenced with the "abbreviated" version, which
I kind of view as a common name:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22%22concerto+in+f%22+gershwin&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Not that I really care too much, but I do think in
this case our stylized name would be wrong.

Except these esoteric examples, we should always
expand imo.

-Nate