On 20/06/06, Steve Wyles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Chris Bransden wrote:

> On 20/06/06, Aaron Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Why don't we create a "X was released under the alias Y" AR?  That way
>> we could keep bands that changed their names "together" in the
>> database.  Of course, there'd have to be other satisified conditions,
>> like there was no significant change in membership or whatever we
>> decide, but I don't like the notion that a change in style deserves a
>> new band.  A band's style is very subjective and we don't use it now
>> to separate artists who don't change their names but do their style
>> (see Metallica - again, the style is very subjective, but I hope you
>> understand my point).
>>
>> Why not make a "X was released under the alias Y" AR so that one day
>> these can be tagged under the original band/artist name if desired,
>> but stored under a single MB Artist?
>
> that's a really good idea - never thought of it that way! you could
> have it trigger a prompt when tagging, to.

Except that with the current db structure it isn't possible to associate
one side of an AR to an artist alias, only to artists.

but that's exactly what we'd be doing, no? there's no harm in having
an artist entity to also be an alias for the 'master' artist. it just
wouldn't have any releases under it, just ARs.