On 12/07/06, Nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 12:18:32PM +0100, Chris Bransden wrote:
> i propose we enter this as "Trilogy, a: The Wonder, b: Hyperstation & z:
> Eliminator Jr.", to follow with the general style of PartNumberStyle (ie,
> seperate PartNumber from TrackTitle with a comma and a space; seperate
> PartName from PartNumber with a colon and a space; etc)

I much prefer the subtitle style than this.

would you prefer subtitle style for normal part/series numbers as
well? perhaps this is the direction we go in, but as said i'd prefer
to wait for shepherds input :) i do think it should be one thing
across the board, though.

> it seems that the classic style guidelines methods of handling such
> tracks (ie. "Trilogy: a. The Wonder - b. Hyperstation - z: Eliminator
> Jr.") seems to have been adopted in the DB, but i don't think that it
> looks consistant alongside the widespread PartNumberStyle.

If something has been widely adopted, we shouldn't try and oppose it. It
won't work [1]. I'm not entirely sure the part number style is what people
expect either, I rarely see a release added which uses it. A quick search
of the database finds about 12,000 following the current part number style
(but I don't know how many of these were added differently and then
changed) and 4,000 with part in brackets.

well i think that says more about sleeves being inconsistant, more
than anything else. PartNumberStyle must be the same as
VolumeNumberStyle in presentation, as it's essentially the same thing
(SeriesNumberStyle), and hence the style of that was followed.

[1] e.g. Most people expect the artist to contain the featuring artists.
Trying to keep everything in the right place has been a neverending task.

getting off topic now, but i'm not sure i agree with you there! in an
album where a guest artist only feat.s on 1 track, then they would be
expected to be in the track field, but a VA release, or a release
where the feat. is global, then yeah i think people expect to see it
in the artist field (or perhaps albumtitle field in the latter
scenario).