Hi Chris,

> Bach may have written the music, and thus, should be
> credited for each track, but he didn't put the album together.

What you don't seem to understand is that, in general, this is the case
with all classical music.  The person who composed it is (usually) dead,
and some performer picks it up and records it.  In any decent record
store, the music is filed by composer, and that's the way classical fans
like and expect it.

> That
> credit deserves to go to Hilary Hahn.  The album will then show on both
> artist pages.  That seems like a very obvious win.

Yes, but with the performer AR she will still get the credit.

The way it is not "a win" is that the recording of Bach Violin Concerti
will no longer be collected together with the other recordings of Bach
Violin Concerti.  Classical music fans actually like to compare different
recordings of the same stuff by different people.

(In, like, the 10th generation of MusicBrainz you will hopefully be able
to look up all the recordings of a specific piece.)

> Also, there is precendence.  See some cover albums by e.g. Sheryl Crow
> [1], or Cat Power [2].  Those artists didn't compose the work, but they
> still get credit for it on the album.  Not to mention all the other pop
> stars that don't even write their own music, but simply sing it.

But, classical music is different.  Playing somebody else's music is not
like playing a cover - you are required to play it exactly the way the
dead guy wrote it.  (If you do a cover, OTOH, you'd better add something
of your own to it - otherwise you are just ripping the original artist
off.)

Again, this is just not how Classical fans generally think about music -
typically, they would start with "I'm in the mood for some Bach" and then
"OK, which Bach?" or "Whose Bach?"  All Bach recordings are considered
somewhat interchangeable, or belonging to the same class.  (Though,
certainly, there are subclasses, like Bach Keyboard Music, Bach Keyboard
Music played on Harpsichord, etc.)   They don't consider music recorded by
the same performer to be as interchangeable - nobody's ever in the mood
for Leonard Bernstein's conducting.

- bklynd