2006/10/2, Marco Sola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Dave Smey wrote:
> My proposed language would be: "Recitals by a particular artist: In
> cases where a release contains works from multiple composers but all
> works are attributable to a single group or performer, that group or
> performer may
> be designated the ReleaseArtist, with each TrackArtist assigned to the
> appropriate composer."

Long time ago I did a test conversion (which btw I did not reverted) and
asked for comments/veto. At that time no one agreed. A longest debate and
examples are on CSGD.

Release is here:
http://musicbrainz.org/release/ab41dfc4-faab-4e1c-ac7e-c07752dd3395.html

> Using the modal verb "may" makes it flexible enough for people to use
> their judgement, since, as has been pointed out, there are still
> "in-between" releases out there that have multiple composers & a
> single performer but still seem like VA (because there is basically
> *no* emphasis on the performer.)

The problem that arises is here is to have a clear rule to say which
performers deserves this: there are releases that are really clearly printed
only to credit performers, mainly for opera. Thinking about it it seem quite
easy to tell who and who don't but in fact we have to admit this could lead
to "eternal flames".

Ciao

MArco (Clutcher2)

Quite, and this is why I suggested we should put limits. We could say for example that we should be careful not create artificial groups, or we are going to have a proliferation of classical groups (this conductor with that orchestra, this conductor with this orchestra and that soloist, this singer with that singer...).

Actually even this is dangerous, because someone would for example create a group for Karajan+Berlin (fully justified, they were associated often and long enough to warrant the creation of a group), but then nothing would prevent the creation of an AR between the tracks of a normal release and this group (instead of two separate ARs).

--
Frederic Da Vitoria