On 04/12/06, Kerensky97 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I want to bring this thread back to life.  It's a good idea, we just need to
wrap up a few loose ends.

1.  I think the release should be placed under whatever name is on the cover
as we usually do, so no big changes.

sorry i don't think this reflects current practice. some artists
change names all the time, yet we have chosen one artist name to use
as it's the most useful thing to have when tagging.

for example, a silver mt. zion (
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/54a55229-e611-439f-928e-d89919ff9d29.html
) have had at least 4 other names in the past (see aliases @
http://www.discogs.com/artist/A+Silver+Mt.+Zion ), and they all
reflect actual changes in the lineup/style of the band, yet it would
make finding their albums on, say, my ipod a complete nightmare if we
used all those names.

i know there are other similar and contrary artists in MusicBrainz,
just saying there's definitely no hard rule a the mo :)

chris/gecks