Leiv Hellebo-2 wrote:

> David K. Gasaway wrote:
>> I've been trying (unsuccessfully?) to frame these discussions in the
>> perspective of the average user.  My views may or may not be
>> representative, but I'd like to know that these folks have been given
>> due consideration.
>
> Me too. On behalf of both me, and others in my household who're going to
> look for this or that piece of Mozart... (At least I hope they will :)

This is a good point.

I think the source of the tension is that we're trying to make one data
field (the MB TrackTitle string) perform two roles: 1. give the tagger a
useful string to put in the "track title" tag in the digital music file,
which the music player displays; and 2. record a bunch of facts about the
musical work which the track represents.

What we have to do in this CSG review is to strike a good balance.  So far,
I think that the CSG helps rather than hinders a non-expert contributor who
is used to classical music conventions.  Most of the arcane discussion is
about edge cases.

Leiv Hellebo-2 wrote:

> And I'd like to throw in yet another consideration:
>
> Deviating from what is printed on sleeves is not something we should do
> without good reasons for it. (Yes, we do it very often already by imposing
> some common formatting.)

For ClassicalMusic, I think we have those good reasons. I stated it at
length in another post
(http://www.nabble.com/-Clean-up-CSG--Classical-and-Release-Language-tt15083579s2885.html):
"...So in the interests of getting consistent results from different editors
entering metadata for different releases of the same musical work, we want
to unify the language used in track titles even if the language used on the
release packaging varied. We are choosing to use the TrackTitle field to
state the identity of the musical work, rather than document the text on the
release packaging."

Leiv Hellebo-2 wrote:

> I hope this will all be resolved for the best eventually, but I am
> concerned that this is going too fast, and undiscussed.

Well, I see the discussion taking place right here, and no-one is making
changes yet. We're just raising issues and looking for consensus.  If by
"too fast, and undiscussed" you mean there are important MB authorities who
haven't chimed in yet, can we expect that they will within, say, a week or
two? Or do we run the risk that even this discussion, followed by a Request
for Comment, followed by a Request for Veto won't include the right voices?

-----
     -- http://jdlh.com/ Jim DeLaHunt , Vancouver, Canada  •
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/JimDeLaHunt