leivhe wrote:

> That's a question I don't really want to pose, but brianfreud claimed so
> recently in an edit note [1]. To me this was a bit surprising, as I
> thought people just had agreed (at the very least) that COD was very
> vague.
> ... Consistency is often a boon, and I guess that more often than not,
> people prefer to be consistent in some way or another, but what does the
> COD has to do with the CSG?

Jim's short answer: Yes.

Jim's longer answer: It sure would be nice if the text at
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ConsistentOriginalData were clearer, and if the
text in StylePrinciple were consistent with it.  It would be nice if the
term Original were applied to ClassicalMusic. Sadly, we don't have that.

But the key concepts for me are "ambiguous" and "consistent". The consistent
data that the CSG draws on is the general musicological convention of
identifying works by musical type (e.g. "symphony"), keys, instruments, opus
numbers, etc.  The CSG serves to pull contributions closer to that
consistent convention, overcoming inconsistencies among the contributor's
own habits, and between the wacky variations in tracktitles which publishers
put on CD covers and booklets.

There is little ArtistIntent, in the sense that the artist in question is a
composer who is usually long-dead. What intent we know of is usually encoded
in that musicological convention on which CSG draws.

There's a practical rationale for having consistency in track titles as the
CSG directs.  It means one contributor's entries are something that another
user can likely accept as adequate. It means that if two contributors each
enter one disc of a multi-disc release, there's a fighting chance they will
have consistent results.  It gives us consistent data, especially in
TrackTitles, which gives hope that moving to the Musical Work entities of
NextGenerationSchema can be somewhat automated.

So, in my mind "ConsistentOriginalData" is meaningful for ClassicalMusic as
a term for that convention that gives us consistent data.  I'm in favour of
adding text to the ConsistentOriginalData article to have it be explicit
about that.

-----
     -- http://jdlh.com/ Jim DeLaHunt , Vancouver, Canada  •
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/JimDeLaHunt