In the same line of thought as the earlier
SameArtistWithDifferentNames, I would really like to build-up a
document that we agree on, and that provides a decent reference for
all these poor lost confused newbies (we all are, right? :])

Yet again, this is *not* about some super new proposal, or a "new"
conception about how things *should* work, but rather an attempt at
summarizing what we currently do, and how our current data model works
(even when it doesn't work so good :]).

For a long time, our only relevant reference AFAIK has been:
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/WhatDefinesAUniqueRelease
which needless to say is not exactly a guideline, but rather the
embryo of a *very early* discussion (before the wiki migration) that
never took-off the floor...
This document is (IMHO) useless as a guideline to which newcomers are
susceptible to actually *adhere*, and the source of many witnessed
confusion and edit "wars".

and to some extent:
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/HowToMergeReleases
which I would like to revamp/synch as well (though it is more focused
on what should *not* be merged).

This proposal, though, might prove a little more controversial than
the previous (almost harmless) SameArtistWithDifferentNames,
specifically because we had so little written guidance about the
"duplicate or not" question so long.

Hence, for now, as this may be more heavily discussed, here is a *raw*
draft of it (without the wiki bells, doc sugar and polish it will
require later on):
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/dmppanda/wdaurdraft

Please bring up any major issue you have with it - though, let's keep
in mind both the purpose of it (*not* a new proposal, rather stating
*what we do*) and that this is a *practical* guideline (a pair of
corner cases or rare exceptions should *not* be a reason to throw it
entirely)

Regards to you all,

- Olivier