1. Well, let's make it a guideline!
2. Could you explain why it technically doesn't remove the discid?
3. I agree that layout is not the best of reasons, but the main point is
that they are a nuisance, and don't really help.
4. You said yourself that you are not willing to explicitly allow them,
in the edit we are talking about we know 100% sure it is a homebrew, as
there never was a release.
5. The way a homebrew is usually detected is when all tracks except the
last one are exactly 2 seconds longer than those of another discid. I
cannot prove that this will never happen in real life, 2 different
releases of the same album follow this pattern, but I estimate that the
probabilities are astronomically small for any release with more than
say 5 tracks.

Bram