On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Kuno Woudt wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 09:32:45AM +0100, Steve Wyles wrote:
>> Equal credit was given to both artists on the original release, but
>> FeaturingArtistStyle seems to be implying "Use whatever is on the cover of
>> he release you are entering", which could undermine the consistency that
>> is obtained by using a database.
>
> It doesn't undermine the consistency.  The artist field afaik is
> intended to capture the artist as credited on the release.  Don't try
> to make it more than it is.  If you want to know who actually
> wrote/performed/etc.. the track, consult the ARs.

Hmm, I can understand what you are saying, but, in those instances you
would have all credit name variations created as artists.

Also, is it possible to search AR's from the web interface?

Normally, tracks where FeaturingArtistStyle is actually intended to be
used are generally credited consistently on releases. Of course, later
compilations particularly VA ones could have anything listed :(

However, with collaborations, the credits tend to change depending on
who's release they on.

I believe there needs to be more clarifiction of when FeaturingArtistStyle
or (the missing) CollaborationStyle should be used.

As I mentioned, the example given in FeaturingArtistStyle is actually a
collaboration.

Steve (inhouseuk)